Get to know a list of certain terms associated with hologram and holographic technique:
They are made by using time-lapse photography. The object moves between exposures. The object appears to move as the viewpoint changes when the hologram is made from these photos. They are made up of hundreds of image channels
This is a device which divides the light from a laser into two separate beams-the reference beam and the object beam.
They are images in a hologram which change instantly from one to another as the viewer passes by. These images can also fade or overlap as they change.
A coherent light is made from laser and this light is of the same frequency and vibrates in phase.
Computer generated hologram:
This is a hologram made from a three-dimensional computer model.
2D/3D Holography :
The hologram is made of multiple 2D layers with hologram images placed one behind another with visual depth that creates an effect of three-dimensional hologram structure.
Bending of light as it passes through very small openings.
He is a physicist from Hungary who discovered the holographic technique and was awarded the nobel prize in 1971.
DOT-MATRIX Holography :
Dot-Matrix Holography create a beautiful impact of variable images allowing unlimited computer controlled and laser beam engraved dots in hologram.
They are made by a manufacturing process which uses a metal replica of a master hologram.
Film consists of light sensitive chemicals or the emulsion spread on a surface.
Flip-Flop Holography :
They can display two images from different viewing angle.
They represent the natural subject colors as in color photography.
A hologram is a record of an image as seen from many viewpoints, giving a three-dimensional effect.
The process of making hologram is known as holography.
These are Holographic Optical Elements, which are actually produced to perform the function of traditional optics, like mirrors and lenses.
A hologram is formed when two waves overlap. This results in an interference pattern which records the relative phase relationship between the two waves.
The first hologram that is formed and viewable only by laser light, and combined with other masters for the final hologram transfer.
They are stereoscopic holography made by taking an array of photos with the camera tracking past a subject.
The light from a laser beam that illuminated the object and is reflected to the holographic film.
They are transmission holography where the object appears to change color as the viewpoint moves vertically.
The portion of a laser beam that goes directly to the holographic film.
Reflection holography are viewed with the light source on the same side of the viewer. The light is reflected off the hologram.
This is an alternative to the original hologram process. Here the subject is imaged directly onto the film with a laser exposure.
Instant recognition of tampering.
Transmission holography are lit from behind or viewed with the light source on the opposite side of the hologram from the viewer. Here the light transmits through the hologram.
These holography are made using a holographic image from a "master" hologram as the object of a second hologram.
True Color Holography :
True Color Holography is made up of photographic quality art-work, in which counterfeiters can't duplicate hologram close to original one.
Volume Holography :
The angle difference between the object beam and reference beam is equal to or greater than 90 degrees.
White light is incoherent and contains most of the wavelengths in the visible spectrum, like light from the sun or from a spotlight.
The following reference gives you an idea about chronological invention of different holography and their usage in various applications. This reference is provided by IHMA, the International Holography Manufacturers Associations.
Holography badges are popular visitor badges, featuring security holography and are used in various organizations and companies. Most visitor hologram badges have the feature of "time badge" technology which automatically voids the temporary hologram badge after one day. There are other hologram badges, displaying various holographic images. There are some badges used to identify a company's name with the company logo on it. There are some holographic badges affixed on T-shirts, worn not for security purpose but for fashion purpose-preferred by youngsters. The star-trek or super human hologram badges are widely demanded among young children. Holography badges are also an integral part of school uniform or sports wear depicting your country's name or your school name in a holographic format. Holography badges are thus highly popular.
Holography cards in the form of hologram ID cards or employee badges and any other cards subject to tampering or forgery are very popular. Any card made of plastic or paper can be made holographic. Holographic overlays are specifically designed to upgrade and improve security and authenticity of your existing plastic or paper ID cards. Holography image overlays prevent photocopying and forgeries and allows a clear view of ID card information. Holography cards provide higher visual security and authenticity. Besides security, holographic cards are usually dazzling and eye catching display. There are various designs and colors, shapes- some opaque, some oval or wavy or some in translucent format to give a greater appearance of depth.
Properties of hologram ID cards
Holography overlays on ID cards
- Peel and stick transparent labels are affixed after the ID card is printed.. The size of the hologram overlay is slightly smaller than a standard ID card. Pressure sensitive Self adhesive label.Transparent The hologram overlays are strong.They can be applied to new cards or existing cards.
Information Refferece Source From www.securityhologram.com
Types of Master Origination of Holography Card Lamination
- Transparent Holography ID Card Overlay: This type of hologram ID card applies a transparent hologram film overlay on a digitally printed ID card. This not only protects the inks in the card from excessive abrasion and wear but also the card life and enhance the security of your ID cards. The holographic overlay helps in preventing alterations to the card information and resists copying or duplicating the ID card.
- Custom Holographic Origination Overlay: Another type is an overlay that is as per customer's specification. An hologram overlay with your company name/logo offers the most security for your ID cards.
Information Refferece Source From www.hlhologram.com
The lamination done on hologram ID cards are as follows:
- DOT-MATRIX Holography
- 2D/3D Holography
- Flip-Flop Holography
- Kinetic movement in hologram
Important factors to consider before making hologram cards
For any photo ID application, the first step is always to get the initial card design right. Once the card layer and usage is determined, the next thing is to consider physical protection and the prevention of counterfeiting. For card security and protection, various questions need to be answered:
Applications of hologram cards
- How will the card be carried ?
- How will the card be used ?
- Will the card suffer wear through after it is being physically "swiped" through a reader?
- What level of security protection is required?
Holography cards are found in the following:
- Holography ID card
- Holography credit card
- Holography Drivers license
- Holography National ID card
- Holography Voter Registration card
- Holography Gun license card
- Holography Proof-of-Age card
- Holography Employee ID card etc.
The above cards are all examples of real world ID card applications and they must be completely protected against forgery.
Holography Copyright Guidelines
In 1994, the International Holography Manufacturers Association (IHMA) published its Holography Copyright Guidelines. The basic reason for providing these guidelines is to cover the common situations in the production of commercial hologram where the question of copyright ownership will arise:
- Custom made holography for a customer to use in relation to the customer's trade or business, such as for promotion or product security.
- Holography manufactured to be sold, either by the manufacturer, the creator or a separate publisher.
Holography manufacturers should incorporate the recommendations or guidelines on copyright and the assignment of copyright into their agreements or standard contracts with suppliers and customers.
Refference Information from www.hlhologram.com and www.IHMA.org
The Berne Convention, International copyright and holograms
The Berne Convention is an international agreement subscribed to by over 90 countries. It sets out minimum requirements on copyright law. There is no specific law controlling the copyright of holograms. They are treated as copyrighreference in so far as they are the result of one or more original creative works. There are few jurisdictions to address the identification of a hologram and the copyright on it. For example, the United Kingdom Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 is drafted to include holography in the same category as photographs and/or films. That means, according to Berne convention, a hologram should be copyrighreference in the same manner as a photograph.
Moral rights in copyright works had started in Continental Europe since the 19th Century. Moral rights belong to the individual author or creator of the copyright work and are recognized as totally independent of the copyright itself. Thus, when an employee creates an original work (here a hologram) in the course of his employment, the copyright will belong to the employer, but the moral rights will vest in the individual employee. Four rights have received general acceptance as moral rights . They are as follows:
- The right of paternity: This is the right of an author/manufacturer to attribution of his authorship/manufacturing.
- The right of integrity: The right of an author/manufacturer to prevent modifications to his work/product.
- The disclosure right: The right of an author to withhold his work from publication/to withhold his hologram product from sale.
- The non-attribution right: The right of a person not to have attributed to his authorship a work of which he was not the author or the manufacturer.
Moral rights were incorporated in Berne convention in 1928 which lays out the following features, which can be followed by all countries.
- These rights are independent of economic rights.
- Moral rights continue to exist after the author/creator has transferred his economic rights.
- These rights are to be maintained at least until the expiry of economic rights.
- The manner in which the rights are protected is determined by national law which is not, necessarily, a copyright law.
The IHMA Guidelines/Recommendations
The IHMA recommendations on hologram copyrights are given below:
If a hologram is used by a customer the question of whether the copyright is owned by the hologram manufacture or the customer arises. The same question applies to the artwork and the tools and machines that are used to create the hologram, some of which may be supplied to the hologram manufacturer/originator and some by the customer himself. It is to be noted that a hologram is unusual even if two holography are made from the same artwork and they could be very different in terms of color, depth, image placement in relation to the image plane and other factors. Thus there will indeed be copyright in the hologram even though it reproduces a customer's trademark.
Information from www.hlhologram.com and www.IHMA.org
There are many components in the image of a hologram custom-designed for commercial use. In such a case, there is every chance of having separate copyright in each of these components, which are :
- The customer's artwork or design, consisting of a registered trademark, logo, product, design or brand name.
- The artwork from which the hologram is mastered, consisting of 2D artwork, video, cine film, slides, a model, a computer sequence or a combination of any or all of these.
- If the hologram is a composite of different pieces of artwork the final composite artwork may exist as a separate entity.
- Copyright on the laser-exposed hologram master or the masters from which the sub-master is exposed in the case of a multiple image or multiple channel hologram.
- The transfer hologram from which production masters or shims are made.
- The re-combined images on a production master or shim.
- The finished or complete hologram.
Holography Pouch Source from Hologram Pouch
Holography pouches are available in infinite designs with fascinating visual effects. Holographic pouch is a combination of flexible printing technology and hologram technology. The general polyester film is substituted by holographic film. Holography pouches are laminated covers used in I-cards, license, badges, book marks, hand tags etc. Holography pouches offer you a high level of protection for ID cards and badges. The card is inserted between the two layers of the pouch, thereby providing durability. These pouches have customized designed holographic images which change color, intensity and perspective with the change in the viewing angle. Holographic pouch are available in a plethora of full color combinations, which makes them attractive.
Basic property of hologram pouch
Highest level of optical security features combined with printing technology creates a highly secured pouch, besides enhancing its aesthetic looks.
Process for laminating
- Step 1 : Place the insert in the pouch.
- Step 2 : Place the pouch in a carrier, say a normal business envelope or folded paper. The carrier absorbs excess adhesive which might be squeezed out during laminating. If there is no carrier, excess adhesive will accumulate on the laminator rollers. This will later require dismantling the laminator to clean the rollers.
- Step 3 : Feed the carrier through the laminator. Allow the laminator to get to the normal temperature before laminating. Initially start with a low temperature and gradually increase the temperature until the pouch adhesive is clear after laminating.
Holography Seal/Security seal
Holography seals or security seals are a widely demanded quick and economical way to add security to existing cards and packaged goods. Holography seals are also used to detect tampering while a shipping carton is in transit or storage. The seals are carefully crafted and produced to prevent counterfeiting. Unlike peel-off seals, the hologram seals leave a dot or checkerboard pattern on the card or packet if they are removed, indicating that the card has been tampered with. Any attempt to remove these seals destroy the seal and nullify the guarantee of authenticity.
The hologram seals are available in various shapes and sizes, including custom made seals with company's logo and images. Additional levels of security can be added with the images that change color and appearance when viewed from different angles.
Features of hologram seal/security seal
Types of Holography seals
- Face Material : Polyester or polymer on paper or acetate. Thickness in various sizes. All colors are available, the popular ones being gold or silver.
- Adhesive : Permanent adhesive of rubber or acrylic composition. The selection is usually dependent upon application.
- Service Temperature : -10 to 90 degree Celsius for polymer based labels and 0° to 70°Celsius for paper based seals.
- Backing : Usually glassine or clear polyester release liner.
- Tamper evidence : High. The image is destroyed when attempted to remove.
- Availability in continuous rolls or individual seals.
- Receptive to writing from ink pen or marker
- No adhesive residue when removed
There are usually two types of holographic seals available based on the basic substrate used. They are as follows:
- Polyester-based seals : The self-adhesive polyester based hologram seal is ideal for general use. This kind of seal is used where high security is not a main priority. The main uses for polyester based hologram seals include promotional labeling uses and seals for packages, like cosmetics and CDs. The seal is made from a polyester film, easily applicable either by hand or machine. Serial numbering is also available on seals for track and trace purposes.
- Paper based seals : The paper-based seal can be used as an information label, while at the same time providing the authenticity supplied by the holographic strip. The paper hologram seal is ideal for cases where additional labels are needed, like in food and beverage packing where nutritional information and ingredients be provided. The paper seal will work as a two-in-one label. Any attempt to remove the seal will result in the label tearing.
Tamper evident feature of hologram/security seals
Apply hologram sealing tape on the carton seam.
First Tamper evident feature
The word "OPEN/VOID" appears on the carton if the seal is removed.
The broken seal feature implies that that the seal is self destructed once it is been attempted to remove.
Applications of hologram seals/security seals Holography seals are used to sealing cartons and packets for various purposes. Some of the applications are as follows:
Information from www.hlhologram.com and www.IHMA.org and www.security.com
Holography Tape/Security Tape
Security tapes or hologram tapes or holographic strips are ideal for use on containers, documents, packages, pallets and more because they cannot be removed or re-taped without detection. Holography tapes are used by many manufacturers and suppliers instead of hologram labels.
In other words, to seal a packet or container and to reduce time consumption for bulk quantity, one can take hologram in tape form instead of label form. Like a normal self adhesive tape, holographic tape can be used for any packaging needs. Holographic tapes are available in general pattern designs as well as custom made designs and are also known as security tapes. The tapes provide tamper-evident protection at the highest level, offering protection for envelope, box and cartons. They offer an effective combination of security and attractive appearance. They have customized designed holographic images which change color, perspective, intensity with the viewing angle.
Types of holographic tapes
According to the demand of the market, there are two major categories of hologram tapes or holographic strips. They are as follows:
Properties of hologram tapes
- Shrinkage Tear Tape: This is a plastic tape with shrinking property. It is sealed to a packaging material which helps in assisting opening of the pack. This type of tear tape enables packing leveling and ignores wrinkles.
- Laser Tear Tape: The laser tear tapes perform many kinds of anti counterfeit functions. These tapes can be made of single or many kinds of anti counterfeit functions in integrative laser tear tapes.
Security tapes or strips are available in the following variants:
- Tamper Evident Holographic Tapes: These tapes offer the best solutions for the exporters who export their products in cartons and who exports highly valuable or confidential products. The tamper-evident hologram tapes will easily disclose whether the cartons or boxes are tampered upon or not.
- Dot Matrix Holographic Tapes: There are hologram tapes with dot matrix feature, which means that there are a number of computer controlled and laser beam engraved dots which create a beautiful impact of variable images on a single tape.
- 2D/3D Holography Tapes: These hologram tapes are made up of various two dimensional layers. These tapes have very good depth of hologram image.
- Two kind of Hidden text/Micro text: The images on the hologram tapes with these features are not seen with the naked eye but with the help of laser reader. Hidden text can be used for both anti-counterfeiting and brand protection.
Why is a tamper evident hologram tape preferred?
The tamper evident hologram tapes are specially developed for sealing of cartons, envelope, box, bags etc. When the pattern released tape is opened, it'll leave words like "VOID", "CANCELED", "OPENED", "ORIGINAL" etc. which thereby indicates that the product or the packet has been opened or tampered with. In some cases, the tamper evident feature is a "dots" geometric pattern. The following two photographs of hologram tapes after being tampered with:
How to apply a hologram tape/security tape?
Usually, the security tape is packaged in a roll dispenser box. Cut the tape to length to the specified length using scissors. To apply the hologram tape, remove the liner backing paper at the back to expose the adhesive and apply. If the tape is removed after application, it will leave behind an adhesive residue on the applied surface. This can be removed using a household adhesive remover.
Applications of hologram tape/security tape
Holography tapes are used for both security packaging and promotional purpose. Holographic tape can be used in the same way as a normal self-adhesive tape. The tapes are widely applicable to the packaging of various products like
They provide the most cost-effective alternative to metals and other film products for a variety of decorative applications, like labels, decals, signs, exhibits, displays, posters, picture frame fashion, and many other unique and creative applications. They are used to seal the cartons. Holography /security tapes can be used in any type of security application like as
- Government Military
Holographic Aluminum Foils
Holographic Aluminum Foils are in vogue as a packaging material. Aluminium foils are thin sheets (approx. 0.02 mm in thickness) prepared from aluminum. The foil is extremely pliable and since it is thin, it can be easily bent or wrapped around objects with ease. Hence it is recommended to be used as a packing material.
What is holographic aluminum foil?
The holographic aluminum foil is a standard aluminum foil having a three-dimensional effect. The holographic impressions are embossed on the surface of a normal aluminum foil and can be over printed. It is used specially in pharma packaging or tag foil. Holographic Aluminum foils are highly demanded because they provide extra level of security as there are presence of optical security features. Holographic security can be incorporated onto normal aluminum foils that can be seamlessly integrated with any packaging operations. In Holographic aluminum foils, the hologram image can be transferred onto the foil by on-line and off-line method. The on-line transfer of holography can be easily applied on the blister packing machines. The hologram foil can be embossed maximum in width of 160mm.
No hologram can be created without the help of proper machines. Nowadays, there are wide variety of hologram products available in the market for various purposes. There are security holograms, promotional holograms, hologram for displays, hologram for packaging, decorative holography and many more. Proper machines are used to make various holograms. Holography Machinery produces hologram film, hot stamping foil to make various products.
To see more detail please visit source webpage from Hologram Machinery
Description and Specification varies from machine to machine but certain technical specifications that are to be considered are as follows:
List of Holographic Machines
The holographic machinery can be listed below:
2D/3D MASTER SHOOTING SYSTEM
There are two types of 2D/3D master shooting.
- One to shoot master by H1 glass to make hologram text or image in background. To shoot in this type, we have to control position platform manually. This is an easy way.
- Another to shoot master by hologram image maker facility directly. Here, all fore ground image and background image can be shot in same way. There is no need to make H1 glass for background first.
Two different 2D/3D master shooting requires two different position localization equipment-one the manual positioning equipment and the other automatic positioning equipment.
This shooting system includes the following machines
- Microprocessor-Controlled Automatic Positioning Equipment: 3D process machine controlling the master shooting according to the presetting parameter.
Specifications to consider
- Power consumption
- Value: Horizontal Direction,Vertical Direction, viewing depth
- Times: Horizontal Direction, Vertical Direction, viewing depth
- Scope: Horizontal Direction, Vertical Direction, viewing depth
- Waiting time
- Exposure time
- Optical Table:
Specifications to consider
- Load weight
- Solid Frequency Horizontal Direction
- Vertical Direction
- Maximum anti-vibration value
- Table Flat Smoothness
- Maximum relative displacement
- The weight of whole System
- He-Cd Laser:
- Silver Coatings
- Other technology transfer
DOT-MATRIX MASTER SHOOTING SYSTEM
There are different resolution like 158 DPI, 317 DPI, 635 DPI, 1270 DPI in this system. It is composed of optical reference, He-Cd laser, accurate platform, programmable controller, optics bridge, computer and software. After you load engraving data, the machine will work automatically until you finish the job.
Specifications to consider
HOLOGRAM MASTER RECOMBINATION MACHINE
- Platform dimension
This machine is used to recombine small master into big master. There are two types of this machine:
1. Small recombiner recombination:
To recombine small master up size to 220mm*160mm. This machine is microprocessor-controlled with automatic simple operation and high precision.
Specifications to consider
2. Big recombiner recombination:
- Maximum recombination area
- Recombination precision
- Recombination function: Misplace, blank, reverse, slope
- Control: PC, Windows operation system
To recombine big master up size to1500mm*650mm. This machine is PC controlled with automatic simple operation having high precision.
Specifications to consider
HOLOGRAM ELECTRONIC FORMING MACHINE
- Maximum recombination area
- Recombination precision
- Recombination function: Misplace, blank, reverse, slope
- Control: PC, Windows operation system
Electronic forming machine is used to duplicate nickel operation shim from hologram mother shim for further processing of hologram embossing. There are two types of this machine:
- Small hologram electronic forming machine
- Big hologram electronic forming machine
Both the types serve the same purpose only the sizes are different. This machine is again of two types: hard electronic forming tank to produce hologram operation shim and soft electronic forming tank to produce hologram master origination.
Specifications to consider
- Max electronic formed size
- Voltage std.
- Power consumption
This machine is used to emboss hologram image onto base material like aluminum metalized PET film, aluminum foil, transparent PET film, etc. This has a very simple manufacturing process.
Specifications to consider
- Max embossing dimension
- Embossed film thickness
- Max rewind & unwind rolls diameter
- Temperature scope
- Embossing speed
- Voltage std.
- Power consumption
- Compressed air needed
- Embosser dimension
- Embosser weight
The hologram laminator machine is used hologram material laminating and hot melt adhesive coating machine.
Specifications to consider
HOT MELT ADHENSIVE COATING MACHINE
- Voltage std.
- Power consumption
The machine is used to coat hot melt glue onto Holography Hot Stamping Foil.
AUTOMATIC DIE-CUTTING MACHINE
This machine is used to die-cut hologram sticker precisely and fast. It has slitter which can cut big hologram sticker roll into small rolls.
Holographic Packaging Films
Holographic packaging films are used in the packing of various products. These films are ideal for flexible or rigid packaging and hence ideal in packaging industry. It is a known fact that today, the ability of a product to get immediate attention due to the sheer packaging is an invaluable tool to retain and increase market share, in an already over-crowded marketplace. Films are used for printing, gift-wraps, packaging, lamination, stickers etc. The richness of the film is a major factor contributing to the sales of the product that can be achieved by packaging of consumer items. Recently, holography has also developed into a major blockade for duplication and counterfeiting of products such as computer software, credit cards, licenses, pharmaceutical products, etc.
Information reference source from Hologram Film
What is a holographic film?
Holographic films are very thin, flexible plastic film which are given a holographic effect through various processes like coating, electro forming, embossing, metalizing and many more. The embossing process creates a pattern that has a 3-D effect and spectral coloring. The embossing process refers to cutting tiny grooves into the surface of the film at various angles and in different shapes, which cause the diffraction of regular white light into spectral coloring. Holographic films are used in a wide number of applications.
Process of creating holographic films
Holographic films are created using laser light. This light records a 3D pattern of lines on photographic emulsions. The 3D lines create a diffraction pattern through which light flows at certain angles. The film appears clear except at the diffraction angle. Thus, theoretically the film will direct sunlight to be reflected while preserving the view. The diffraction separates the sunlight's spectrum and creates colored patterns on the material.
Lamination of the holographic film
For various packaging applications, the holographic film can be laminated to different types of materials. The film can be laminated to make the following:
Advantages of holographic film
- Sealable films to make form, fill and seal roll stock packaging.
- Sealable films to make pre-made flexible bags.
- Can be laminated to make paper or card stock to make consumer packaging, gift boxes and bags.
- The films can be extrusion coated with sealable polyethylene.
- They can also be coated with special adhesives.
The advantages of using holographic film for packaging are as follows :
Applications of holographic packaging films
- Customers give higher value addition.
- Inherent security of holography against counterfeit.
- High impact at the point of sale
- Enhanced aesthetics ensure a premium and attractive look
- The holographic packaging films are pressure sensitized which help to make label or sticker or packaging material. This is achieved by applying a pressure sensitive adhesive and a release liner to the metalized surface of the film
- Holographic film can also be chopped into glitter or powder. This can be used on textile products or mixed into other materials to provide a unique holographic effect etc.
Types of Holographic films for packaging
- Lamination with paper
- Board lamination
- Gift wrappers
- Pressure sensitive sticker
- Adhesive tapes
- Carry bags
- Flexible packaging materials
- Decorative packaging materials
- Candy wraps etc.
Holographic films are available in a wide range, such as follows:
- Holographic BOPP Film
- Holographic PET Film
- Holographic PVC Film
Holographic Packaging Material
Holography have been widely used in variety of applications like security, promotion, brand protection, anti counterfeiting etc. One important application in recent times is the use of holographic material as a packaging material. A hologram is a three-dimensional image or photograph of an object formed with the help of a laser. To make a hologram, the object is first bathed in the light of a laser beam. A second laser beam is then allowed to fall on the reflected light of the first and the resulting interference pattern is captured on film. When the film is developed, it looks like a wave of light and dark lines which seems to be meaningless. But as soon as the developed film is illuminated by another laser beam, the original object gives a three dimensional effect .
The process of making a hologram is known as holography. In other words, with the help of holography, a three-dimensional visual information is recorded, stored and replayed. Under proper illumination, a hologram displays a multi-dimensional image which can be seen from many angles and depths.
Types of holographic packaging material
Various types of holographic materials used as a packaging material are as follows:
Uses of hologram
Information source from http://www.hlhologram.com/Uses_of_hologram.html, www.IHMA,org, www.kuwer.com
Holography is today used in wide variety of applications. Some of the hologram applications are as follows:
- Security holograms: Holography are used on a wide range of documents from passports, license, I-cards to banknotes to tickets and passes.
- Access control: Special tamper evident holography are used to control or prevent access to restricted areas and devices.
- Brand protection: Holographic elements are applied on the labeling or packing which mark the genuineness of the product.
- Advertising techniques: Holography help to create vivid , eye catching pictures, which adds extra appeal for the customer and in turn generates more interest in advertisement.
Holography as a packaging material
Holographic materials have been widely used a packaging material. The impact of holography on packaging is great and immediate. It can be so flexible in its use and very remarkable in its effectiveness. Holographic packaging material is the easiest way to get easy attention of your customers and moving your product off the shelf. Holography is used for both both commercial packaging applications and security and authentication. There are different types of holographic materials used as a packaging material like foils, films, label materials etc. Various holographic patterns can be created in varied colors to create package that displays sheer sophistication and dazzling effect. Holographic materials as a packing material have become very popular and economical with the passage of time.
Advantage of holographic material over other packaging materials
information source from: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography
Nowadays , package designers are familiar with holographic treatments like a laminated film or transfer films. Holography is today incorporated into various package designs. Some of the advantages of holographic packaging materials are as follows:
- Holography adorns packages around the world by providing an added dimension of distinctiveness and identity to your brand.
- Holographic images differentiate your package from the competition.
- Holographic materials help to build in levels of security and authentication to protect your brands integrity.
- Holography prevents tampering and counterfeiting.
- Holographic film laminates can be sandwiched in between printed film layers and provide dazzling effects.
- Holography provide differentiation and shelf appeal that brings your package to the front on the shelf.
Type of holography used in packaging
Information reference source from Hologram supplier and www.IHMA.org
- 2D/3D Holography : This consists of several optical layers with 2D hologram images placed one behind another resulting
- 2D Holography : This is made up of two dimensional images which are assigned different colors and position in one layer.
- True Color Holography : This is made up of photographic quality art-work and you can not duplicate this hologram close to original one, creating a beautiful impact of variable images.
- Dot-matrix Holography : This hologram allows using unlimited computer controlled and laser beam engraved dots in hologram.
- Kinetic Movement Holography : This is made up of both 2D/3D and dot-matrix type hologram.
- Flip Flop Holography : They can display two images from different viewing angle.
Applications of holographic packaging materials
Information reference source from www.IHMA.org
The hologram foils or films create various holographic film patterns that create unique, eye-catching packaging designs that also help customers readily identify your products. The holographic materials have now been used successfully in a variety of sectors such as follows:
- Food industry sectors
- Dental products
- Wine and spirits
- Detergent sector
- Personal heath care products
- Pharmaceutical products
- Cosmetics Sporting goods etc.
The concept of using hologram as a packaging material is rapidly gaining commercial acceptability on a worldwide scale.
Holographic Paper Bags Information source from http://successprinting.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008818023296/pdtl/Carrier-bag/1000831053/Holographic-Paper-Bags.htm, http://www.asiaexpo.co.in/holographic-paper-bags.htm, http://www.jampaper.com/Bags/HologramPaperBags
Holographic paper bags are widely demanded bags used for various purposes like as shopping bags, gift bags or promotional bags. Holography paper bags are available in assorted colors, designs and prints and sizes. These bags have three-dimensional effects which make all the difference in marketing and advertising media. Professionally laid out graphic design on these bags can help communicate your message clearly to your customers. That is why hologram bags are used as packaging material for gifts and other stuff in various organizations and commercial outlets. Best and impressive holographic effect can help in corporate branding, sales and marketing advertisements and promotional media. Professionally created 3D design in these paper bags is a key in unveiling the full potential of print media that makes an impact.
Styles of holographic paper bag
Holographic bags are available in various sizes. The holographic paper is available in various colors and prints. Finishing options are applied after completion of holographic process. The designs on the cover are many and varied. Some are custom printed like the name of the company or the company's logo. The holographic effect gives a very shiny and glossy look to the bag. There are hologram bags with embossed effect which gives a raised look. The holographic paper bag can also be foil stamped in Gold, Silver, Copper or any range of colors. The handles of these bags are usually made of plastic or cotton thread.
Uses of holographic paper bags
Holographic paper bags are not supposed to carry very heavy stuff but they are used widely for promotional purpose in big corporates and organizations. They are ideal to be used as gift bags and shopping bags.
Holographic papers or hologram papers are smooth and shiny papers having 2D/3D holographic effects that reflect and diffract interior and natural lighting. By improving shelf appeal, hologram paper has become very popular to increase sales through improved product awareness and enhanced brand image. The beautiful holographic papers glitter beautifully under the light and add a very attractive effect to all paper craft projects, be it bags, cards, posters or wrapping papers etc.
Process of making holographic papers
The holographic effects are created by metalizing the surface of the paper with a thin layer of shiny silver aluminum. The different holographic patterns are embossed into the surface, which in turn create millions of pixels in microscopic grooves and valleys. In other words, the hologram paper is actually a hologram embossed on the paper which is directly metalized to the paper with no lamination process. This embossed aluminum surface diffracts and also reflects the light. Diffracted light breaks up into various colors and the reflected light sparkles and dazzles to create a more eye-catching appearance.
Advantages of holographic papers
Holography papers are widely used as a promotional media because of the following reasons:
Features of hologram papers
- The hologram paper increases consumer awareness.
- The hologram paper increases sales because it attracts attention.
- The holographic paper is a multi-dimensional marketing medium.
- These papers create dimension and movement with a variety of colors and patterns.
- Holography papers are ideal to create exciting projects for both home and office like craft projects, keepsakes, posters, special occasion cards etc.
The various features of holographic papers are as follows:
- Holography papers are available in sheets and rolls.
- The hologram papers can be given any shape and can be designed in any weight and size.
- Film lamination is used in heavier stocks like board weights.
- Direct embossing is designed for lighter paperweights.
- Transfer lamination process is used to produce hologram paper with the direct embossed qualities.
- Compared to regular paper, hologram paper is more expensive.
- Custom hologram papers are available in super gloss, gloss and dull finishes and appearances.
- They are also available in self adhesive paper.
Information from www.hlhologram.com and www.IHMA.org
There are generally three types of holography in the commercial world-embossed holograms, film holograms, photopolymer. Embossed holography that can be easily mass produced by embossing are the most popular and commonly used hologram products. These holography are widely used for security, packaging, labels, and display purposes. Holography nickel masters are used to produce embossed holograms.
What is holography master origination?
This is a type of one piece of nickel shim which are manufactured in a laboratory by master shooting system using advanced optics, laser light and photosensitive glass. A holography image created by master shooting system is recorded by a holographer onto photosensitive glass. This glass is then coated with silver layer for electronic forming. This is the manufacturing process of master origination. After electronic forming, we get a piece of holography nickel shim which records holography images and other information in 2D/3D or Dot-master effect. This holography nickel shim is called master origination. We can copy or duplicate lots of nickel shims from this origination by electronic forming.
Steps involved in making holography master origination
Photosensitive Glass Master
Glass master silvered
Holography Master Origination
Operation Holography Nickel Shim
Types of holography masters
The different types of Holography Masters are as follows:
- 2D Holography master
- 2D/3D Holography master
- 3D Holography master
- Flip-Flop Holography master
- Dot-Matrix Holography master
- Stereo Holography master
- Photopolymer Holography master
2D Holography master: This type of master origination just has one layer hologram image,. Other than on surface, it doesn't have any other layers. These kind of holography has several very shining, color hologram image or text on surface, without "virtual depth". The images are more shining especially, in its big rainbow area. The flip-flop effect and most true color image is 2D holography master on surface because it has best shininess.
2D/3D Holography master: 2D/3D Holography masters have been widely used on the commercial securities. In any 2D/3D design, there are typically 2 or 3 layers. There is one layer on the surface as in 2D holography master while the other layers are in the mid-ground and background. There can also be floating layers. The effect gives the appearance of a flat scenery in a theatrical play which is arranged at different lengths from the front of the stage to create the illusion of depth. The depth between the different levels is the most important characteristic of 2D/3D hologram. 2D/3D hologram stickers usually have great visual depths between different layers and shininess on first layer.
3D Holography master: The 3D holography master display a three-dimensional image. This image actually duplicates a solid object derived from a model or a computer generated image. The observed 3D image changes with respect to the direction of view.
Flip-Flop Holography master: Flip-flop holography master produced by 2D/3D master shooting system. This kind of hologram displays two images from different viewing angle. An interesting feature in this hologram is that when the viewing angle changes vertically (upside and down) or horizontally (left to right) different images appear through the hologram. This is also known as two channel effect of 2D/3D.
Dot-Matrix Holography master: Dot matrix hologram creates an array of smaller units or dots. Each dot represents a separate hologram that produces a predetermined result, This result is usually a simple diffraction grating. When viewed at the correct angle and illuminated with a white light source, the diffraction grating produces a tiny spot of color. The microscope gratings are arranged in a proper way to produce a single composite picture. This picture is actually a sequence of related images, for a variety of "special effects". Dot matrix holography master is extremely attractive as they are bright and colorful. This master has lots of kinetic movements.
Stereo Holography master: Stereo Holography master creates a 3D effect of an object. It can show a small "movie clip" action sequence. Stereo Holography master or stereograms helps you to see a 3D object hidden inside a picture.
Photopolymer Holography master: Photopolymer holography master forms an image by illuminating the surface of object with radiant light emitted from a laser and then fixing said image. This method for producing holography by photopolymer technology comprising the steps of: applying onto a surface a composition comprising a photopolymerizable monomer, a binder, and an initiator.
The holography technology can best be understood under the following two categories:
Recording process of holography
The process of holography uses a reference beam to produce a recording of the phase of the light at every point in an image. The reference beam is combined with the light from the scene or the object which is referred as the object beam. Due to the superposition of the light waves, optical interference between the object beam and the reference beam produces a series of intensity fringes. These fringes can be recorded on standard photographic film and they form a type of diffraction grating on the film. This is called the hologram or the interference pattern.
It is also important to note that during holographic recording, rather than from just one point, each point on the hologram's surface is affected by light waves and these waves are reflected from all points in the scene. It means that during recording, each point on the hologram's surface acts like an eye which records everything it sees in any direction. After the hologram has been recorded, looking at a point in that hologram is similar to looking "through" one of those eyes. For example, you look at a small or cut out section of a recorded hologram. It is evident that from the same distance you see less than what you see in the full image. But still you can see the entire object by shifting your viewpoint laterally or by going very close to the hologram.
Reconstruction process of hologram
Once the film is processed, if there is illumination again with the reference beam, the original object beam in both intensity and phase is reconstructed with the diffraction from the fringe pattern on the film. The image appears three-dimensional because both the phase and intensity are reproduced. The image would rotate exactly as the original object would when the viewer move his or her viewpoint. Since there is an interference between the reference and object beams. There is the use of laser in holography. The light from the laser is divided into two beams-the reference beam and the object beam.
Difference between recording a hologram and taking a photograph
Recording a hologram is different from taking a photograph in various ways which are given below:
- In hologram, it is necessary that a coherent light source like a laser is used to illuminate the object.
- There is a second beam of coherent light which strike the film on which the hologram is to be recorded. This is called the reference beam. The reference beam and the object beam overlap at the surface of the film and they form an interference pattern.
- The recording material is capable of recording these fine patterns and a high-resolution photographic film is used.
- Because the lines that make up the hologram is usually less than a micron, holographic recording is more sensitive to movement and vibrations compared to photographic recording. This is actually a very serious restriction as it usually confines holography to the laboratory where vibration isolation is created.
Information from www.hlhologram.com and www.IHMA.org and www.security.com
Transparent holography are the ideal security products where an over laminate is required so that information is viewable through the laminate. In other words, transparent holography are see through holography which are affixed over a number, text or a photograph to see through the hologram label the printed information. Any attempt to tamper with the hologram will result in the destruction of the hologram. These holography are considered to be an ideal solution for document protection where there is the need to secure critical information on the document against any tampering. They can provide your documents/cards with a visually appealing look, coupled with a moderate degree of security.
Basic feature of transparent holography
Transparent hologram uses a transparent hologram film overlay on a digitally printed ID card or document or license. This protects the inks on the card from excessive abrasion and wear and also extends the card life. The transparent holographic overlay prevents alterations to the card/document information and prevents copying or duplicating the card. Usually, the transparent holography are the "peel and label" transparent labels which are manually affixed after the card is printed. They are pressure sensitive, self adhesive holograms. Just remove paper liner to activate adhesive and apply transparent holography over any important card or document.
Types of transparent holography
Customized transparent hologram: There are transparent hologram labels or stickers which are custom imprinted with your company logo, name, consecutive serial number and other features. Transparent labels can be customized with a unique imprint.
Tamper evident transparent hologram: The holography are available with a tamper evident feature. The image is destroyed if any attempt is made to remove the label or sticker from the product or document, or to reposition it. This is an additional security feature in transparent holograms.
Advantages of transparent holography
The popularity of transparent holography is due to the following advantages:
- Transparent holography are compatible with lamination pouches to make ID cards, license, passports etc. They can be affixed to the card insert before laminating. They can also be affixed to the finished laminated ID card.
- These holography allow easy viewing of the information underneath.
- Transparent hologram is also an affordable method of re-validating an existing card. Since the information can be seen through the transparent hologram, instead of printing new cards every year, it is easy to simply peel and stick the transparent hologram overlay onto an existing card.
- Transparent holography cannot be scanned or photocopied and hence ideal to combat document counterfeiting.
- Transparent holography can also create an attractive complement to your existing packaging and product.
- Transparent holography can also be shining and sharp.
Applications of transparent holography
Transparent holography in the form of pressure sensitive labels, pouches and stickers are used in various products.
Types of Holography
A hologram is a type of three-dimensional image that gives the appearance as a real object as the image has depth. The best way to think of a hologram is to visualize them as impressions on light waves. The patterns of light wave impressions are photographed or captured in the layer of emulsion. In other words, a hologram is an image or photograph of light wave interference. It is to be noted that not all 3D images are holography and neither a hologram is required to be 3D. In technical terms, a hologram is the captured intensity and phase information which is produced by the interference or interconnection of two or more beams of light. People often consider a hologram as some type of a three-dimensional photograph. However, the only thing common between photography and holography is the use of a photographic film. The important difference is the way the image is produced in both the cases. A photographic image is produced by a camera lens and it is described almost accurately using a simple geometric or ray model for the behavior of light. On the other hand, the holographic image is formed depending on diffraction and interference, which are wave phenomena.
Types of Holography
Let us now discuss in details the various types of holography produced under different processes and methods. These holography are:
Properties of holography
- Reflection Holography : It forms an image by reflected light.
- Transmission Holography : It forms an image from the light that passes through the holographic emulsion.
- Embossed Holography : The most commonly used hologram.
- Integral Holography : A type of hologram formed from series of photographs of an object.
- Rainbow Holography : A popular type of hologram, viewed in white light.
- Computer Generated Holography : Computers are used to create images and patterns for developing holograms.
- Multiplex Holography : It is a type of hologram produced by combining a large number of photographs.
- Stereogram: An optical illusion of depth created from flat, two-dimensional image.
- Volume Holography : A hologram in which the angle difference between the object beam and reference beam is greater than 90 degrees.
- Plane Holography : A hologram in which the angle difference between the object beam and reference beam is less than 90 degrees.
Holography have some very interesting properties such as follows:
- Distributed information: The information in a hologram is always distributed. If it is cut into pieces, each piece contains enough information to reconstruct the entire scene.
- Image projection: Under certain cases, merely shining or lighting a laser through the hologram projects an image on to a screen.
- Viewing directly with a point source: A hologram reconstruction shows exactly the same light wavefronts to our eyes that we receive with the real object, using a point source of illumination. The hologram is not distinguished from the physical object.
Holography : Application
Holography and hologram products are now widely used in various applications. One of the most common application of holography is in security maintenance. Spreading from the research laboratory to industry, holography today finds wider employment in communication and various engineering problems. It is used in computer technology to store numerous quantities of information. Another important application area is bar-code readers in shops, warehouses, libraries etc. Holography are today considered as the best promotional media. Every type of industry can use the Holographic products to enhance their brands in the market and make them genuine and authenticated brands. Holography are used for attractive product packaging, security applications, fancy gifts, 3-D art etc. New technology aircraft, automobiles, etc. also make use of holograms.
How is a hologram made?
A laser beam is divided into two beams: The reference beam and the object beam.
Using a lens or curved mirror, the width of the reference beam is increased conically and aimed directly at the film plate. The width of the object beam is also increased and aimed at the object which reflects some of the light on the holographic film-plate. The two beams form an interference pattern on the film by crossing each other. This leads to the forming of the hologram. To create a hologram, laser light is needed because it is made of coherent waves.
Tamper Evident Tape
Tamper evident tape is a simple and cost effective solution for improving the security of various packaged goods as it acts as an effective deterrent against anyone who tries to open the packaging and pretend they haven't done so.
In other words, tamper evident tapes are hologram tapes used for security purposes. These tapes are used on cartons, cardboards, painted surface, metals, glass, plastic boxes and leave a semi-permanent signal on the surface. The tamper evident tapes are used to providing a security seal for letters, cartons, pallets, bags or other containers. These tapes are produced in such a way so that they are compatible with a wide variety of surfaces.
Basic feature of a tamper evident tape
Tamper Evident Tape provides a security seal. The basic feature of such a tape is that after application, when removed the tape will self destruct leaving words or symbols on the package or carton and in the security tape itself. Generally words like "OPEN/VOID/CANCELLED" or dots or checkboard pattens appear once the tape is removed.
Types of tamper evident tape
Today, there are numerous options available when buying tamper evident tape. It is very important to realize that nothing is tamper resistant or tamper proof. If someone wants to tamper with a product they will be able to. The only difference is that with tamper evident tape, you get the indication that that something has been tampered with. This tamper indication is attained with the help of pressure-sensitive adhesives and materials.
The different types of tamper evident tapes that are available are as follows:
- Custom printed carton sealing tape
This is the most common type of tamper evident tape. Generally, the first question that comes up when buying security tapes is "what are you trying to secure, and on what surface?" The common answer for this is usually high valued items packaged in corrugated cartons. Corrugated cartons have a common surface or substrate but there are different types to choose from like smooth, rough, coated or recycled. Some tamper evident tapes work great on some surfaces while poorly on some others. Custom printed carton sealing tape is considered to be the least expensive option. The tape material is usually a PVC or polypropylene and there is an aggressive adhesive suireference for boxes. There are different colors available with imprints and some patterns. If the tamper evident tape is cut and then covered over by clear tape, the imprint will need to line up exactly. Otherwise tampering is indicated.
- Destructible film tape
Another style of tape is the destructible film that flakes when an attempt is made to peel it away. This is used more widely on consumer medicines and food packaging. This is considered very expensive for carton sealing applications. But this is a good option for the smaller jar or bag sealing applications. The security tape is usually imprinted with a diagonal message that says "do not purchase if seal is broken." It also has serrated edges to further prevent peeling away. Relining up the imprint is very difficult once the tape is cut. Hence, this indicates that the tape has been tampered with.
- VOID or Evidence Tape
This is the most popular and the most expensive security tape options. When the tape is peeled away, there is a message imprint left behind on the adhesive residue. The message displays a VOID or OPENED message. The tape is used to seal almost anything.
How secure is the tamper evident tape?
The tape for sealing a carton or any packaged item is either cut or peeled away, though the cut option is more common. If a person plans on tampering with a carton, he will more likely cut the tape, then seal it over with another tape or a clear tape. This is where the imprint is important. When a small pattern of the tape is cut, it needs to be lined up if the box is resealed and this is difficult. That is why tamper evident tapes are secured because they easily give an indication that they are tampered with.
Uses of Tamper evident tapes
Tamper evident tapes are ideal for use on cardboard and other forms of outer packaging. This is because they leave a semi-permanent signal on the surface to which they are applied. Typical users include
- Computer hardware
- Computer software
- Mobile phone
- Food packaging
- Shipping cartons
- Electrical goods packaging etc.
Using this tape, sellers or manufacturers would benefit from knowing whether packaging has been tampered with.
Tamper Evident Seal
Tamper evident seals are widely used by those organizations looking to overcome tamper evident, security and brand protection problems. These seals are used to detect tampering with objects containing confidential information, calibration/equipment settings or valuables. If removed after application, the tamper evident seal will self-destruct in a manner to denote that the seal has been broken. The seals are designed to show signs of tamper evidence immediately if removed. These seals are available in standard and holographic versions. Tamper-evident seals are widely used in government, industry, and in the consumer world to detect any kind of unauthorized attempts to open a secured item.
Types of tamper evident seal
Tamper Evident Feature
Acetate tamper evident seals: The seals are constructed of thick acetate, which will tear if the seal is removed. They are recommended for indoor use and short term use outdoors.
Frangible acetate tears when removed. There is no residue.
Plain Silver tamper evident seals:
This is constructed of thick polyester film with a permanent acrylic adhesive. This type of seal is compatible with most surfaces like paper, glass, metal, and many other surfaces which are hard and non-porous.
DOTS pattern. Once the seal is removed, they leave behind dots on the surface.
Translucent tamper evident seals: This seal is translucent in the sense that you can still read underlying information after application. The seal is constructed of thick polyester film with a permanent acrylic adhesive which is compatible with most surfaces. It leaves the word "OPENED" in a high residue on the surface, once its been removed.
Selective release (OPENED/VOID.CANCELLED), high residue
Forms of tamper evident seal
Tamper evident seals are available in various forms such as follows:
- Frangible foils or films
- Plastic wraps
- Pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes
- Crimped cables etc.
It is to be noted that tamper evident seals are simple seals designed not to provide additional security, but only to provide evidence of tampering, if it occurs.
Options available in tamper evident seals
Tamper Evident Holography
- Optional logo or graphic
- Optional serial numbers
- Optional colored imprint (red, green, blue or any other color)
Tamper evident holography in the form of stickers, seals, labels are widely used holography in various applications. Tamper evident is a process that makes illegal access to any protected object easily detected.
Tamper evident holography are available in both reels and sheets to suit any kind of needs-manual or mechanical. They are usually pressure sensitive and are are available in colored, transparent or translucent films.
Properties of Tamper evident holograms
The unique feature of this type of hologram is that once affixed at the required place, any attempt to reuse these holography will lead to their destruction. This is because of the following reasons:
Tamper evident hologram products
- Some tamper evident holography are very brittle and will self-destruct when tampered with. This prevents swapping of stickers or labels
- Some tamper evident holography will leave behind a residue or sticky substance when they are peeled away. Common messages like "VOID", "OPENED" and checkerboard patterns appear at the desired place.
- There are some tamper evident holography that changes color if they are peeled away.
Tamper evident labels and seals examples include some of the following:
Types of Tamper evident holography
- Asset labels and tags
- Computer security label seals
- Product warranty VOID tamper evident labels
- Bag seals
- Drug transport security seals
- Carton sealing printed security tape
- Chemical drum security seals
- Bag sealing tamper evidence tape
- Container security seals and tape
- Holography Labels with Custom Imprint
- Holography Labels without Custom Imprint
- Identity Documents
- Bank Cheques, Drafts
- Driving License etc.
Tamper evident holography are of the following types:
- Full transfer tamper evident hologram:
In this type of hologram, the labels or seals once fixed at the desired place, it is not possible to remove them. Any attempt to remove the hologram or tamper with it results in only the top layer of the film to be separated from the holographic image. What is left is just a clear film, while the holographic image stays where the hologram was originally affixed. This type of hologram is available in various colors.
- Partial Transfer tamper evident hologram:
In such type of hologram, any attempt to tamper with it or remove it results in the holographic image breaking up. Partly the film is removed or partly the substrate on which the hologram was affixed breaks up. Any further attempts to still remove the hologram image intact will result in completely destroying the hologram. Partial transfer tamper evident holography generally carry a checkerboard or circular pattern.
- Transparent holograms:
Transparent holography as the name suggests are see through holograms. They can be fixed over a number, text or a photograph to make sure that they can be clearly visible. Any attempt to tamper with the hologram will result in the complete or partial destruction of the hologram.
- Translucent holograms:
They are also see through holograms. While transparent holography merge with the substrate on which they are fixed , translucent holography stand out and are easily noticeable. They can be partial transfer or full transfer.
Security holography are the most common type of holography used in many industries. Security hologram products like stickers, labels, cards are found on a host of products and packaging, which include compact discs, cosmetics, computer software, watches, sporting goods, hang tags, certificates, tickets , passes and many kinds of identification and membership cards. The most common example of a security hologram is one on every VISA® and MASTER CARD® produced for the past 12-15 years. In various countries like Austria, Bulgaria, Finland, Kuwait, Switzerland, and Russia, security hologram is seen on federal currency and passports. In the United States, it is common to find high security holography on driver's licenses as well as on postage stamps and on a variety of government issued bonds and certificates.
Types of security hologram products
The various types of security holography are as follows:
Tamper Evident Holography
Holography Hot stamping Foil
Holography Tape/Security Tape
Holography Seal/Security seal
Tamper Evident Seal
Why security holography work?
Security holography are rapidly becoming an essential method of protection against counterfeiting. All holography belong to a class of images known as Diffractive Optical Variable Image Device (DOVID) which is expensive, a specialized and technologically advanced equipment. Security holography or for that matter any other hologram products cannot be copied by standard printing techniques or replicated by color copiers or computer scanning equipment. Usually, counterfeiters select the path of least resistance, and as such facing a security hologram will frequently cause them to give up their efforts to copy your product and move on to easier targets. As a result, the use of security holography virtually guarantees product authenticity.
Advantages of security holography
The basic advantages of security holography are as follows:
- They provide security.
- They provide authentication.
- They provide protection against counterfeit.
- They cannot be copied.
Property of rainbow hologram
An important property of rainbow hologram is that perspective information is lost in one axis. That means you may not be able to see a change in perspective when looking from above or below.
Recording process of rainbow holography
Rainbow holography are made by a double holographic process. Here an ordinary hologram or a transmission hologram is used as the object. The second hologram is made through a slit. This is a horizontal slit which limits the vertical perspective of the first image and there is no vertical parallax in the resultant rainbow hologram. During image reconstruction, the horizontal slit operates. It removes or eliminates the coherence requirement on the viewing light. This makes it easy to attain the three-dimensional character of an image while the viewer moves horizontally. The brightness of the image is also maintained. If the viewers eye is moved vertically, no parallax is seen and the image color moves through the rainbow spectrum from blue to red. It is seen that when a rainbow hologram is viewed at an average height, the image appears yellow-green. On a little higher height , the color changes from orange or red and if we dip, it becomes blue or violet. Thus, it is referred as rainbow.
Advantages of rainbow hologram
The tamper evident hologram labels usually have a "dots" release pattern or words VOID, OPENED, etc. showing tampering. Under normal circumstances, the release pattern will appear when the label is removed after the label has been applied. However, there are certain conditions under which the tamper evident feature can be inadvertently activated during the process of affixing the label. We give below few tips to minimize pre-triggering of the tamper evident feature in labels:
Tip 1. Minimize pressure and contact with the adhesive side of the label. Manually remove the label using light pressure and transfer to your finger. Then, apply the label immediately to the intended surface. The tamper evident feature gets activated the label is positioned on your fingers for long time or if the adhesive side is handled with too much pressure.
Tip 2. When handling the labels, use skin moisturizer to the tips of fingers which will touch the adhesive side of the label. This will minimize the chance of activating the tamper evident feature during application. Otherwise use a rubber finger tip on the finger which is to touch the adhesive label.
Tip 3: Flag the label. In other words, peel back a portion of the liner to expose a small portion of the adhesive side of the label. You now affix the exposed portion of the adhesive to the intended surface. Next peel away the balance of the liner to fully affix the label.
Tip 4: Never use a metal or plastic instrument to affix the label. The hard and dry surface cause the tamper evident release to activate.
Promotional holograms/3D Lenticular are used for
- For advertising and sales.
- For brand promotion
- As give-away in trade fairs.
- Used on magazine, books, brochure cover, greeting cards etc.
- Used as mementos, keepsakes or tokens.
- Several 3-dimensional multicolored images of deities, places of worship, monuments, palaces, structures, buildings of historical or archaeological importance.
- Full-color holography can be considered as exquisite exhibition pieces and presentation plaques.
Multiplex holography are used very widely today in various applications. The multiplex hologram is a popular type of hologram depicting the holographic storage of photographic information. It is a type of hologram which is produced by combining a large number of photographs in a holographic manner.
We all know that a hologram usually provides a way to record and reproduce a three-dimensional, still image of an object. The method of recording and replaying a three-dimensional, moving picture is called a multiplex hologram. In multiplex hologram, a three-dimensional image is viewed in a slowly turning transparent cylinder. In other words, multiplex holography represent large number of flat pictures of an object which is viewed from different angles. These pictures are then combined into a single, 3D image of the subject. In case of a rainbow hologram, the same image of the object appears in a different color when viewed from different angles.
Property of multiplex hologram
Multiplex holography are an interesting type of hologram. Some important properties of these holography are as follows:
Stages of production of multiplex hologram
- Multiplex holography not only represent a three-dimensional image but also have the possibility of capturing movements.
- Usually a multiplex hologram creates horizontal parallax and not vertical parallax. This is because the camera usually moves around and does not usually pass over the subject. The subject moves around in front of the camera.
Information reference source from http://www.holo.com/holo//book/book5.html
- First stage: A group of photographs of the object is taken. The number of photographs taken depends on how much of an angle of view you want to view of the object in your finished hologram. For example if 360 degree view of the subject is required, then you can expose 3 frames or stills per degree of movement around the subject. This will result in the exposure of 1080 frames.
- Second stage: When your film is developed, the next step is to make a series of "slit" holograms. Here you use each frame of film as a subject for each slit of holographic film. This is done in the holographic lab, using a laser. The slits are usually about one millimeter wide. These narrow strips capture the movement process only two-dimensionally, and then they are subsequently recorded on the hologram plate. They are packed together so close to each other that there is no "dead space" in between.
- Third stage: Also the hologram is bleached so that the strips disappear. The result is a hologram comprising more than 1000 different strip holograms.
Manufacturing Process of a Holography
Information reference source from http://www.IHMA.org
A hologram is made by illuminating a 3-dimensional (3D) object in the powerful beam of laser light. Light waves that are reflected from the object makes a pattern. This pattern is recorded on a special type of holographic plate. When this is developed and light falls onto it, the original object is recreated. This image appears as a fully three-dimensional image. A large number of new creative possibilities is opened by holography using a new visual reality. Holography allows any artist to produce his type of work which on the other hand would be impossible in any other medium. There are nowadays advanced laser techniques with various art forms producing an entirely new level of artistic expression thereby creating an enchanting environment for home or office. Holography are usually light and easy to send or carry and make a a wonderful gift or a fascinating addition to any collection.
Steps in making a hologram
Steps involved in producing a holographic image of an actual, three-dimensional object are as follows:
Step 1: A laser is used. This laser illuminates the physical object. The reflected light falls on the photoresist plate. At the same time, a reference beam from the laser falls directly on the photoresist plate. There is an interference between these two light beams which react with the photo-sensitive coating thereby recording a holographic image of the object.
Step 2: The master is the plate on which the original hologram is recorded. The master is processed in a chemical bath using standard photographic developers after being exposed. The master is also expected to confirm that the image is properly recorded before proceeding with production.
Step 3: The master is mounted into frame. It is then sprayed with silver paint which helps in achieving good electrical conductivity. The frame is put inside a tank along with a supply of nickel. An electric current is produced, and the master is electroplated with nickel. The frame or jig is then removed from the tank and then it is washed with deionized water. The metal master shim, which is the thin, nickel coating, is removed off the master plate. This shim contains a negative image of the master hologram. The negative is the mirror image of the original hologram.
Using the same processes, several shims are created. Those that are produced from the metal master shim are known as "grandmothers,". "Grandmother shim" contains positive images of the original hologram. At this times, various copies of the original image are duplicated in rows on one shim and are used to print multiple copies with a single impression. Successive generations of shims are known by various names like "mothers," "daughters," and "stamper shims." These generations of shims alternate between negative and positive images of the original hologram. The stamper shims are used when actual production runs to print the final product holography and these shims are negative images.
Step 4: Stamper shims are put inside embossing machines. A roll of polyester film or other similar material, coated with an acrylic coating, runs through the machine. Under severe heat and pressure, the shim pushes the holographic image onto the film. This goes to a depth of 25 millionths of a millimeter. The embossed film is then re-wound onto a roll.
Step 5: The next step is to load the embossed film roll into a chamber from which the air is removed to create a vacuum. There is an aluminum wire in the chamber which is vaporized by heating it to 2000°F or 1,093°C. The roll is exposed to the vaporized aluminum and in turn another roll is formed and in the process the roll is coated with aluminum. The film is treated to restore moisture lost under the hot vacuum condition, after it is removed from the vacuum chamber. Another coating of lacquer is applied to the film and this creates a surface that can be imprinted with ink. The roll of film is again sliced into narrower rolls.
Step 6: There can be another step depending on what type of film was used and what kind of product is being made. For example, to give strength, the film can laminated to paper board. The film is given desired shapes for the final product. It can be printed with messages. Pressure-sensitive adhesive is applied to the back of holography which can be later fixed to other objects or used as stickers.
Step 7: For marketing, the final holography are either fixed to other products or are packaged for shipment.